L&Q Group appointed AMCM Group as Pre-construction Manager and Cost Consultant to complete a detailed pre-purchase feasibility report and to manage the RIBA Stage 4-5 design post purchase.
As the site was a decommissioned BT exchange there were many underground risks to be mitigated and managed directly with BT.
Project: Wheatstone House, Kew
Client: London and Quadrant
Value: £35 million
Start Date: September 2016
Completion Date: August 2019
Delivery: 150 private sale apartments, commercial, residential and basement car parking
- The site was a decommissioned BT exchange with live data and fibre optic service ducts running across the site that were to be maintained during and post construction.
- AMCM Group appointed the pre-construction team and worked with BT to amend the consented scheme in order to mitigate construction and on-going risks associated with the fibre optic data network.
- The redesign of the scheme resulted in a more efficient basement design that provided an increased number of parking spaces but did not impact on the BT assets whilst reducing construction costs.
- The first floor structure was raised and cantilevered so that the piling and associated ground works did not impact on the BT assets.
- AMCM developed the construction programme in line with procuring the key packages (RC, ground, frame, M&E, etc) to allow L&Q construction to commence work concurrently with the land purchase.
- Works are on-going on site.