AMCM Group were appointed as main contractor by Tandridge District Council to deliver this project in Oxted, a small rural village in the heart of Surrey.
The scheme which involved the construction of three bungalows was extremely logistically challenging in a very restricted site closely surrounded by occupied residential houses.
We are delighted that through hard work and a significant effort made by the site team to minimise construction impact on the community, that the scheme achieved Performance Beyond Compliance and was recommended for best practice by the Considerate Constructors Scheme.
Project: Barnfield Way, Oxted Surrey
Client: Tandridge District Council
Value: Construction, £0.7 million
Start Date: January 2019
Completion Date: November 2019
Delivery: Construction of 3 bungalows
- AMCM Group were awarded this JCT Design & Build contract under competitive tender in January 2019 by Tandridge District Council
- The site is within a very tight residential area, surrounded by homes of mixed tenure and requires skillful and thoughtful logistics planning and strong communications with neighbors all around, a comprehensive notice board, and regular face to face interaction
- The Site has required sympathetic management, with the design being reconsidered pre-construction, to retain trees and also steps taken to future proof the bungalows
- Careful consideration has been necessary for environmental control of noise, tidiness of the site and to provide social value through the recycling of site materials
- Environmental initiatives have included a water butt for each bungalow, changing from oil based to water based paint from the specification, and the design of the parking area to implement a permeable membrane, reducing charge on the sewage system
- The scheme is on target to be delivered on time and to budget
- The scheme recognised for best practice through the Considerate Constructors Scheme
A local councillor and the Chair of the Council’s Housing Committee commented. “It is vital we create affordable homes so people of all ages have somewhere to live in our district. We choose contractors who build homes to the highest standards and will maintain strict codes of conduct during the construction phase. I am pleased that AMCM Group has been recognised as a Considerate Constructor as this benefits our residents who live close by, our environment and the health and safety of their team.”
The client wrote: “Just to say, well done on your recent Considerate Constructors Scheme score, I am really delighted that this score has been achieved, which is really high, given that this is the first visit, and the small nature of the site. The word ‘excellent’ comes up more than once and this really does reflect the excellent job that you are doing on site.’
Penny Craig, Housing Development Specialist, Tandridge District Council.